2018 Experiences at Middlethorpe Hall and in York
20 Nov 2017
- Middlethorpe Hall is a National Trust hotel home to an award-winning restaurant
- Middlethorpe Hall unveil a new ‘Gardens & Trees of interest’ guide
- York is one of the UK’s most romantic cities and easy to explore on foot
- Visit York recently unveiled the ‘York Chocolate Trail’
Middlethorpe Hall is the only country house hotel in the City of York and it is the perfect base to combine both a country and city experience with York’s historic heart close by.
Standing in 20 acres of its own award-winning gardens, the beautiful William and Mary house was formally the home of the famous 18th century diarist Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. There are 29 bedrooms at Middlethorpe Hall, an award-winning restaurant and boutique spa. Each of the bedrooms at the hotel is individually designed and has its own distinct story. It is the central block of Middlethorpe Hall where guests find several rooms that are truly inspiring throughout the day. Here guests encounter a breathtaking collection of antiques and art. These areas include the Entrance Hall, The Parlour, The Oak Dining Room, The Ante-Room, The Ballroom and The Staircase Hall. Guests can enjoy afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks or just relax and read in these areas.
Experiences for 2018:
Gardens at Middlethorpe Hall – New Guide following Gold Award
Having won ‘Gold’ at the Yorkshire in Bloom 2017 Awards, the gardens at the hotel have always been one of the reasons to visit Middlethorpe. 2018 will be the 250th anniversary of the creation of the ancient Society of Florists in York – the oldest horticultural society in the World – with which Middlethorpe has very strong connections. To coincide with this the hotel have unveiled a new ‘Gardens and Trees of interest’ guide which tells the story of many trees with a map. A great way to spend a morning or afternoon around the 20 acres.
New Friday Evening Wine Club
Starting 12th January the Middlethorpe Hall Wine Club will launch. The first event includes seven wines from Italy and the wine tasting is accompanied by dinner. Priced from £59.50 per person. 2nd March is a South African wine special evening with guest speaker Christine Austin, a wine writer and broadcaster.
Spa and Dine at Middlethorpe Hall
The boutique spa at Middlethorpe Hall with its blue-tiled pool and sauna is the perfect place to relax and recharge. The spa offers a selection of treatments with NEOM Luxury Organics and Decleor. Dining at Middlethorpe Hall’s 60 cover restaurant is overseen by Head Chef Ashley Binder. The classically panelled dining room provides the perfect setting for the British food with both traditional and contemporary touches for which the hotel has been awarded two AA Rosettes.
York Chocolate Trail
The York self-guided Chocolate Trail has launched giving visitors the chance to discover more of the city’s chocolate making history. The Trail covers 11 spots all around the city. Visitors are invited to take a mouth-watering wander through time, packed full of chocolate, pioneers and famous confectionery. Some well-known names in chocolate began life in York. Rowntree’s created Kit Kat, Smarties and Aero, while Terry’s came up with the Chocolate Orange and All Gold collection and Cravens were famous for their French Almonds and Mary Ann Toffees.
Visitors soon fall in love with York’s charms. It is one of the most romantic destinations in the UK.
- York Minster – did any building in Britain ever inspire such feelings from the heart as this Gothic masterpiece?
- 13th-century defensive walls (the longest and best preserved in England), explore the narrow streets, gothic cathedrals and bookshops specialising in antiquarian books.
- Countless antique jewellery dealers, such as The Antiques Centre on Stonegate or Bradley’s Jewellers on Low Petergate.
- York Art Gallery – Come for the most extensive and representative collection of British Studio Ceramics. Originally opened in 1879 and reopened after a recent £8 million transformation.
Combine a modern and vibrant city with a stay at historic Middlethorpe Hall.
www.middlethorpe.com Middlethorpe Hall, York, Yorkshire, YO23 2GB, Tel: +44 (1904) 641241