25 Years and 25 Experiences in and around Ynyshir Hall, Wales
24 Mar 2014
Ynyshir Hall celebrates its 25th anniversary in July 2014 under the ownership of Joan & Rob Reen who fell in love with the property all those years ago. The hotel is Wales’ only Relais & Chateaux hotel and is known as both a foodie destination and a retreat to enjoy peace and tranquillity. The hotel has the good fortune to share its Dyfi estuary location with one of Britain’s finest bird reserves, the RSPB Ynys-hir Nature Reserve; home of the BBC Springwatch show.
A UNESCO Biosphere area and the Cambrian Mountains that surround the hotel are ideal for walking. Those who appreciate nature will be inspired by the fairy tale landscape. Not many know that Led Zeppelin’s famous single ‘Stairway to Heaven’ was based on a walk up the Einion valley. Robert Plant still owns a home at the top of Artist’s Valley.
Ynyshir Hall’s history is fascinating; Queen Victoria once owned the house. With 25 years of knowledge to share in and around Ynyshir Hall, Joan & Rob Reen have highlighted some experiences to ensure visitors to this hidden gem in the secret heart of Wales make the most of their visit this year. These include:
1. Visit the RSPB Reserve home of BBC Springwatch
2. Forage with head chef Gareth Ward & owner Joan Reen in the surrounding countryside
3. Paint with in-house artist owner Rob Reen who has painted the wonderful Welsh landscape and his bold canvasses light up the walls across the hotel and in all 10 bedrooms & suites
4. Revival & Spiritual Retreats at the new Treatment Centre at Ynyshir Hall including meditation
5. Antiques in Machynlleth; the country’s capital of antique shops
6. Artists Valley which inspired Led Zeppelin
7. Ynyslas Beach’s golden sands
8. Borth seaside village
9. Sleep in the largest suites in Wales at Ynyshir Hall overlooking the Garden of Zen
10. Explore the trees around the hotel, some of which were planted by Queen Victoria who lived here
11. Visit the Centre for Alternative Technology
12. Great Little Trains, Tywyn, Fairbourne, Aberystwyth
13. Mindful Walks with Ynyshir Hall’s therapist Thomas around Ynyshir Hall’s peaceful grounds
14. Moma Wales, and Tabernacle , Machynlleth- Art Galleries & Music festivals throughout the year
15. National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
16. Stargazing at Ynyshir Hall, no light pollution, extremely clear skies in this part of the UK
17. Tai Chi in the Garden of Zen
18. Clay pigeon shooting close to Ynyshir Hall
19. Rally driving, Carno, Forest Experience
20. Afternoon tea in the gardens at Ynyshir Hall, accompanied by birdsong
21. Two course best ever Welsh Breakfast, with a view over the peaceful gardens
22. Eleven course tasting menu by Gareth Ward, with flight of wines in award winning restaurant
23. Five course local tasting lunch served in the restaurant
24. Taste of Morocco , gourmet evening in the secret heart of Wales
25. Behind the scenes ‘Cooking with Chef’ with Gareth Ward, a morning in the kitchen learning ‘chef’s secrets’ using local produce
Ynyshir Hall is famous for its dining experience, for 11 years it held a Michelin Star. Ynyshir Hall has held three AA Rosettes since 1996. Head chef Gareth Ward has created tasting menus which showcase local produce at its best. Ynyshir Hall’s succulent seafood comes from Cardigan Bay — with lobsters, crabs and shrimp landed at Aberystwyth and Borth. And there is exceptional wild salmon and sewin in the local rivers. Venison and wild game are in abundance, Ynyshir Hall has tender-sweet Welsh lamb along with free-range chicken and Welsh Black beef which is second to none. Pork is organic and bacon is hand-cut for breakfast with sausages prepared to the hotel’s own recipe.
The kitchen garden produces wonderful fruit, vegetables, herbs and salads. Gareth collects wild foods such as mushrooms, samphire, wood sorrel and wild garlic — all absolutely delicious thanks to the purity of the local soil, water and air.
Says Joan Reen; “The minute Rob and I walked into Ynyshir Hall we fell in love. The hotel is truly located in the secret heart of Wales and the seclusion and landscape have inspired us over the years to make this a home-from-home for all our guests, many of whom return each year. We recently added two new gorgeous garden suites and a treatment centre offering holistic therapies inspired by the surroundings. Our chef Gareth Ward will celebrate a year with us shortly and I have never experienced cuisine like his, he is already attracting recognition and this is set to grow. Ynyshir Hall entranced Queen Victoria all those years ago and we have remained entranced for 25 years.”
Escape, discover and celebrate at Wales’ finest country house hotel.
Eglwysfach, Powys, Wales, SY20 8TA Telephone: 01654 781209 Twitter @ynyshirhall