Medina Moments – Fez’s UNESCO Medina, Africa’s largest, is full of surprises and only 3 hours from the UK
15 Aug 2014
-9,400 narrow little streets
-10,572 listed buildings of historical interest
-Palais Amani is the leading hotel in the medina with 14 suites, restaurant and hammam
-Medersas across the medina showcase Fez’s intellectual and scientific past
This autumn, Fez, Morocco’s third largest city has plenty to keep visitors busy within its medina, Africa’s largest. Just three hours from the UK, it feels like visitors have stepped back in time especially upon entering the vast medina. Based at Palais Amani a listed art deco building partly rebuilt in the 1930’s, guests can explore the magical medina on foot. Highlights include:
• The Chouwara tanneries; an eye opening sight full of colour and smell. Leather here is treated and prepared in the traditional manner.
• The Bou Inania Medersa is a remarkable building showcasing a wealth of sculpted stuccowork and carved cedar wood with a marble decor.
• The Nejjarine Museum of Wood, Arts and Crafts offers a moment of peace away from crowds, donkeys and noise whilst the rooftop terrace offers splendid views of Fez.
• The 600m2 garden at the centre of Palais Amani opens onto a restaurant ideal to enjoy traditional Moroccan cuisine with European touches including alfresco lunches in the sun.
• Copper works from many shops including intricate lace copper work for light fittings, trays, mirrors, tables and more available throughout the medina to purchase. All can be created in a bespoke made-to-measure way.
• The Attarine district is minutes walk away from Palais Amani and has the most delightful selection of pottery in Fez.
• Bab Ftouh and its heady spice market is also close by and worth a visit.
• Smaller fashion items are on sale at every turn in the medina. Silks, slippers and kaftans along with luggage are all around. Haggle your way to your desired price, all over a mint tea of course.
Palais Amani can organise guides on foot within the medina and on four wheels for extended tours beyond the medina.
Be fascinated by Fez this autumn and discover Africa’s largest medina.
www.palaisamani.com 12 Derb el Miter, Oued Zhoune, Fes Medina, 30000, Morocco
Rooms from £150 based on two sharing including three course Moroccan breakfast