Wales on Wheels – Discover Three Spectacular Hotels & Locations on the United Kingdom’s Best Roads
11 Feb 2014
Wales offers the perfect backdrop for those who enjoy exploring on four wheels. The country is home to some of the finest roads in the United Kingdom. Three unique hotels in stunning locations are ideal bases for car lovers and all are set within beautiful landscapes.
Arrive in Wales and drive to Llangoed Hall, set within 17 acres of parkland and gardens. It is the current AA Hotel of the Year 2014 Wales and was recently completely refurbished. Surrounded by the Black Mountains, this hotel is home to 23 individually designed bedrooms and an award winning restaurant. Further to the west of Wales drive up to Ynyshir Hall, once Queen Victoria’s home and the only Relais & Chateaux hotel in Wales. Located where the BBC’s Springwatch is filmed, visitors will have plenty to explore outdoors before returning to Ynyshir Hall for a 10 course tasting dinner. Drive to the north of Wales and arrive at the National Trust’s Bodysgallen Hall, set within 200 acres of its own parkland located to the south of Llandudno with spectacular views of Snowdonia and Conwy Castle. The 17th century house is home to two restaurants and a spa.
Hit the roads and discover the following locations around each hotel:
First destination: Llangoed Hall – Llyswen, Brecon, Powys, Wales LD3 0YP
– Hay-on-Wye (9 miles): Hay-on-Wye is world renowned for its books, bookshops and its annual literary festival. Its setting in the beautiful border country, just north of the Black Mountains, makes the small market town ideal for visitors looking to explore the surrounding countryside.
– Brecon Beacons National Park (15 miles): The Brecon Beacons is a mountain range in South Wales and its six main peaks dominate the skyline. The highest of which is Pen y Fan at 886m, park the car and decide on a dedicated walking route. You can also enjoy a picnic prepared by the hotel.
– Abergavenny (23 miles): Nestled between seven hills right on the border, this vibrant town is ideal for various stops of discovery. Why not visit one of the busy weekly markets?
Second destination: Ynyshir Hall, Eglwysfach, Machynlleth, Powys, Wales SY20 8TA
– Machynlleth (6 miles): Machynlleth is known as the antiques capital of the UK with many new ‘pop up’ shops offering everything from vintage furniture to glassware to art. Stock up on a selection of antiques and drive home in the knowledge that you have purchased something unique. Close by drive to the idyllic Cardigan Bay home to numerous beaches, and unique marine life.
– Aberystwyth (12 miles): This multi-coloured seafront of Victorian/Edwardian buildings mostly 4/5 stories high is the ideal backdrop for parking ones car. Soak up the sun and view the surrounding hills and mountains over a Welsh lunch.
– Aberdovey (16 miles): Aberdovey (or Aberdyfi) is a harbour resort and throughout the summer several yachting regattas take place. Take the car for a spin before watching a selection of sports on water.
Final destination: Bodysgallen Hall, The Royal Welsh Way, Llandudno, North Wales, LL30 1RS
– Llandudno (2 miles): Drive around Llandudno a perfectly preserved Victorian seaside resort popular throughout the year. Enclosed by the headlands of the Great Orme and Little Orme, a drive will ensure you have plenty to talk about.
– Conwy (2 miles): Later drive to one of the best preserved medieval towns in Wales. Boasting a rich heritage and a unique atmosphere, Conwy, the gateway to Snowdonia is guarded by its imposing castle and is reached via the bridge over the Conwy estuary. Finally why not discover more about the many castles around Bodysgallen Hall? Bodysgallen lies at the heart of so much history that a car is essential to see castles at Caernarfon, Harlech and Beaumaris. Drive also to National Trust properties at Plas Newydd on Anglesey and Penrhyn Castle and the beautiful gardens at Bodnant.
www.llangoedhall.co.uk From £150.00 B&B per night based on two sharing
www.ynyshirhall.co.uk From £205.00 B&B per night based on two sharing
www.bodysgallen.com From £179.00 B&B per night based on two sharing