Ynyshir Hall Awarded Michelin Star Under Head Chef Gareth Ward
25 Sep 2014
- Gareth Ward celebrates one year at Ynyshir Hall
- Ynyshir Hall enjoy fourth Michelin Star under four chefs
- Ynyshir Hall awarded 2014-2015 AA Hotel of the Year for Wales in the same week
Gareth Ward has achieved his first Michelin Star at award winning hotel – Ynyshir Hall in Wales. Gareth joined the hotel a year ago and instantly made his mark combining his own innovative approach to cooking with the complete freedom given to him by owners Joan and Rob Reen to devise menus that he felt suited the hotel and location. Gareth was previously at Sat Bains.
Surrounded by the Cambrian Mountains, set within a fairytale landscape that once entranced Queen Victoria, who lived at Ynyshir Hall, this corner of Wales offers wonderful ingredients and produce. Gareth Ward has created several dinner tasting menus – 11 courses and 8 courses served in the 25-cover restaurant. The 11 courses are priced from £90.00 per person (£72.50 for 8 courses) with a wine pairing option priced £60.00 per person. Lunch is also served at Ynyshir Hall and the 5 courses are priced from £29.50 per person. An example full menu appears below.
The changing menu includes:
– Leek, BBQ-Puree-Fermented: BBQ Leek, Leek Puree, Leek ash, Ferment leek juice, Leek oil and Goats Curd
– Deer Garlic-Mushroom-Watercress: Venison loin (vacuum packed with brown butter, douglas fir, juniper and water bathed at 52º), Deer Burger (trimmings and fat from carcass minced up with onion, garlic and thyme), Field mushrooms, Garlic and kombu puree, Mushroom ketchup (concentrated mushrooms- mushrooms mixed with a touch of soy and placed in a muslin bag overnight- water drains out leaving pure mushroom liquid), Pickled Shimegi, Button Mushrooms, Watercress, Mushroom dashi
– Salmon, Cream Cheese-Rye-Pickles: Salmon (brined for 20 mins, water bathed at 40º for 10 minutes), Soy glaze, Pickled vegetables- red onion, capers, Charred gherkin, Cream Cheese- homemade, Rye toast, Salmon dashi, Onion oil
– Walnut whip: Aerated chocolate (mangiare 64%), Walnut and maple gel, Meringue, Salt crystals, Reduced wine vinegar, Celery leaves, Grated walnut brittle
Ynyshir Hall’s succulent seafood comes from Cardigan Bay — with lobsters, crabs and shrimp landed at Aberystwyth and Borth. And there is exceptional wild salmon and sewin in the local rivers. Venison and wild game are in abundance, Ynyshir Hall has tender-sweet Welsh lamb along with free-range chicken and Welsh Wagyu beef which is second to none. Pork is organic and bacon is hand-cut for breakfast with sausages prepared to the hotel’s own recipe. The kitchen garden produces wonderful fruit, vegetables, herbs and salads. Gareth collects wild foods such as mushrooms, samphire, wood sorrel and wild garlic from the surrounding countryside— all absolutely delicious thanks to the purity of the local soil, water and air.
Joan and Rob Reen celebrated their 25th anniversary at Ynyshir Hall this year and were awarded AA Hotel of the Year 2014-2015 for Wales the same week the hotel received a Michelin Star under Gareth Ward.
Eglwysfach, Powys, Wales, SY20 8TA Telephone: 01654 781209 Twitter @ynyshirhall
Rooms From £230.00 inclusive of breakfast, based on two sharing /
Dinner, Bed & Breakfast from £365.00 based on two sharing
Media Enquiries: boutique da silva public relations firstname.lastname@example.org 07727 084 058
Menu 1 at Ynyshir Hall by Gareth Ward (Sample)
Not French Onion Soup
Sweet & Sour
Surf & Turf
Apple – Spelt
Olive – Back Fat
New Season Carrots
Baked in Hay & Salt
Salt Baked Hogget
Welsh Hill Speckled Face
Lager & Lime
£90.00 per person
£60.00 wine pairing per person
Optional Cheese £6.50